Topic: TinyMCE 3.4.7 Released

This release contains a lot of bug fixes but also some behavior changes when it comes to caret formatting.

The behavior change for formatting of caret selection/collapsed ranges was made to make it more like common desktop word processors like MS Word or LibreOffice. These word processors will expand the selection to the closest word and apply for example bold to that word. This also fixes issues with non western languages that uses input method. It also makes more sense to apply formatting to words instead of being able to insert formatted contents inside an existing word.

This release also includes a lot of accessibility specific improvements. Such as the insert custom character or the emoticons dialog.

Check the changelog for details on these fixes and continue helping out with testing and reporting bugs.

We are also working on the 3.5 version and it will have a rewritten noneditable plugin so any feedback regarding that would be welcome.

Best regards,
Spocke - Main developer of TinyMCE

Re: TinyMCE 3.4.7 Released

Hi !

Good, but there is a something wrong :
- Scrollbars appears and focus should be like on mouseover on "special character" popup
- on "Emotions" popup, focus isn't visible, so is difficult to navigate with arrows
- on "Emotions" popup the tips is wrong : "tongue_out"

Last edited by btr (2011-11-03 19:20:24)

Fixed the first and third issue. The second wasn't reproducable, shows a focus rect on my FF and Chrome.

Best regards,

the problem of second issue appears with firefox 8, there isn't visible focus.
Focus appears if you click on popup and tab key
On character popups it's same behavior.

Other problem, on your full exemple of try it page, copy and past  the table on cell, repeat this 4 - 5 times, the path bar expands in width if you click on deep cell.

Last edited by btr (2011-11-04 11:23:51)

Please report these as bugs in the issue tracker. Thanks.

Best regards,

We use a highly customized version of the noneditable plugin at our site.  Some of the features we've tried to add and would like to see are below.  We've had varying degrees of success getting them to work.  And some of these are wishlist features.

• Backspacing into a noneditable will erase the entire noneditable block.

• Using cursor keys or mouse to enter a noneditable selects the entire block, i.e. you can't have a cursor that is inside the noneditable without the entire noneditable being selected.

• If while making a selection by dragging the mouse cursor or shift+arrow keys, if you select part of the noneditable the entire block is selected.

• You can't drag and drop text into the middle of a noneditable.

• If a noneditable is selected, you can type or paste over it. This removes the entire noneditable.

• If using the cursor keys, if you move left (or right) into a noneditable, the entire block is selected as above.  If you press left (or right) again, your cursor is outside of the noneditable and it is no longer selected

• If your noneditable block is a span, ability to add text (or other elements) immediately before or immediately after a noneditable.

• You cannot change the formatting inside a noneditable. e.g. selecting a block of text that includes a nonedtaible and pressing the bold button will bold all text except that which is in the noneditable.

The above truly treats the noneditable as a single character and we think would make noneditable blocks easier for our users to work with.

In Bug #4156 a problem with the fullscreen plugin was reported as well as a solution (just replacing one line in the source by another). I'm wondering why this solution is not included in the releases until now. Is there any known issue with the reported solution?

Hi!

Here a short feedback about TinyMCE 3.4.6 and 3.4.7. If you would like insert text with your mouse and you work with IE 8.x, two different menu popups will open. FF 7.x works in this case easily.

If you click on the sentence, then the menu popup from the edit object will open. This is correct.

But if you click with your mouse into a free zone without text in the edit object, then the system menu popup from IE 8.x will open and the system will "depends a while".

http://www.presse-kostenlos.de/tinymce1.gif

Best regards,
Robin

Hey.. a bit late in posting, but I also have some Non-Editable plugin requests:

- Ability to have nested uneditable regions.. editable regions *inside* non-editable regions. 
- Ability to select/highlight/delete an entire non-editable regions
- Attaching event handlers to non-editable regions.  This would allow someone to insert an expander/collapse widget, a Google Maps widget, a Like button, etc inside of a TinyMCE region
- Support for skipping across non-editable modes in the node browser (the tag summary in the editor footer)
- Ability to have forms inside of non-editable regions (and have one be able to use the form fields)

Who should I send this feedback to?

Last edited by laura_ (2011-11-11 23:09:52)

laura_ wrote:

- Ability to have nested uneditable regions.. editable regions *inside* non-editable regions.  [...]

My first thought was "send it to your psychiatrist". How can you need such a self-contradictory requirement??

Greetings from Germany,

Felix Riesterer.
-- I am neither Moxiecode nor Ephox! --

Felix Riesterer wrote:
laura_ wrote:

- Ability to have nested uneditable regions.. editable regions *inside* non-editable regions.  [...]

My first thought was "send it to your psychiatrist". How can you need such a self-contradictory requirement??

This would be useful when a user would like to edit regions within a template.  Making the entire template noneditable, and then having certain predefined areas of that editable, for example content areas.

I guess it's not a required feature, but i can see how it would be useful.  It would certainly improve the usability of one of my sites.

oridan wrote:

This would be useful when a user would like to edit regions within a template.

Then why don't you create an editor inside this "template"? Let's say you have three editors on a page like this:
[ *editor1* #template-code *editor2* more template-code# *editor3* ]

This way you have the non-editable part outside any editor and thus non-editable. Why isn't this an option? Why does it have to be non-editable parts in an editor?

Greetings from Germany,

Felix Riesterer.
-- I am neither Moxiecode nor Ephox! --

Felix Riesterer wrote:

This way you have the non-editable part outside any editor and thus non-editable. Why isn't this an option? Why does it have to be non-editable parts in an editor?

That is a very good alternative, using floating actionbars this would work perfectly.  Done correctly it would be seamless too.  Thanks Felix.

We customise the noneditable plugin to add an extra param called noneditable_keepcontrols, which you set to be a list of controls which you DON'T WANT TO BE DISABLED in the editor toolbar when the non-editable part is clicked on.

We use this so that a specified toolbar button (a custom one for a plugin we wrote) can be enabled when the user clicks on the noneditable part - otherwise the entire toolbar is disabled.

Thanks,
Gary

I looked at the previous changelogs and around the forum, but couldn't find anything about the issue I've stumbled onto after updating to 3.4.7:

When pasting content from Word, all formatting is filtered out and everything is inserted into one paragraph, with br-tags inserted where paragraph should change.

Previously: paragraphs stayed intact, and basic formatting like bolding and italics were kept.

I haven't changed the configuration, and I also tested tinymce.com's demo version for the same behaviour. Obviously something has changed, but I don't know where to even start looking.

An addition to the problem below:

I found out that the problem is only with Firefox 9.01, other browsers work well. So the latest updates of FF caused this.

jpjoki wrote:

I looked at the previous changelogs and around the forum, but couldn't find anything about the issue I've stumbled onto after updating to 3.4.7:

When pasting content from Word, all formatting is filtered out and everything is inserted into one paragraph, with br-tags inserted where paragraph should change.

Previously: paragraphs stayed intact, and basic formatting like bolding and italics were kept.

I haven't changed the configuration, and I also tested tinymce.com's demo version for the same behaviour. Obviously something has changed, but I don't know where to even start looking.