Topic: TinyMCE 4.0b2 Released

Here comes the second beta version. We fixed a lot of bugs and issues in this release and we also added a few missing config options.

We started to add new documentation to the 4.0 version and moved the 3.x docs into it's own section.

Check the changelog for details on the fixes we made and feel free to send us any feedback or bug reports.

You can now also help out with the translation of TinyMCE 4: http://www.tinymce.com/i18n/index.php

Best regards,
Spocke - Main developer of TinyMCE

Re: TinyMCE 4.0b2 Released

An awesome update!

However, the plugin "textcolor" which I was hoping and waiting for is not working for me. sad
I added it correctly on the plugin list but no buttons or functions appeared in my editor.

My config should be fine:

tinyMCE.init({
                mode : "specific_textareas",
                editor_selector : "mceEditor",
                height : "350",
                plugins: "anchor,code,contextmenu,fullscreen,hr,image,insertdatetime,link,lists,media,preview,save
,searchreplace,table,textcolor,visualblocks,visualchars,wordcount"
        });

Did I miss something or is this a bug?

Thanks.

Last edited by Kratos (2013-04-25 12:52:05)

Kratos wrote:

An awesome update!

However, the plugin "textcolor" which I was hoping and waiting for is not working for me. sad
I added it correctly on the plugin list but no buttons or functions appeared in my editor.

tinyMCE.init({
                plugins: "anchor,code,contextmenu,fullscreen,hr,image,insertdatetime,link,lists,media,preview,save
        });

Thanks.

You have to define the buttons 'forecolor' and 'backcolor' also.

Is it possible to please open up the translation for Portuguese (Brazil)? I would like to contribute for that language.

McDonald wrote:
Kratos wrote:

An awesome update!

tinyMCE.init({
        });

Thanks.

You have to define the buttons 'forecolor' and 'backcolor' also.

Thanks, err but how do I do that?
Most of the pages in the documentation are not available right now.

The "formats" tab is not localizable on any language. Bug?

Added a list of controls here:
http://www.tinymce.com/wiki.php/Controls

Formats is translated at least when I use the Swedish language pack.

Best regards,

Kratos wrote:

Have a look at the source code of the full featured example: http://www.tinymce.com/tryit/full.php

McDonald wrote:
Kratos wrote:

Have a look at the source code of the full featured example: http://www.tinymce.com/tryit/full.php

Ahh, I did not see that. Works like a charm thanks alot. big_smile

Hello,
Awesome work with this new TinyMCE.
However, I'm facing a problem concerning the spellchecker.
When trying to use it, I'm getting this :
Error: GENERAL
Data: {whole current page's source code}

Great beta 2, congrats! Is there a rough ETA for a stable release?

Very good this beta, really congratulations for this great work.

What I would like to know, please have a date for when probista a final version with all plugins?

Otra cosa que me gustaria saber como puedo poner como estaba en la anterior version para elegir las (Fonts) From already thank you very much.

Last edited by napolion (2013-04-29 15:54:37)

How do I install TinyMCE 4.0b2 in Joomla 3.0?

If you're impatient, however, version 4.0b2 has been released and available for download. It's quite stable, and added with the many new features skin overhaul faster JavaScript engine.

v4.0b2 tinyMCE.Editor() wants 3 arguments. the documentation isn't finished at the moment. so does somebody know what these arguments? v3.x just wants 2, id and settings.

We started to add new documentation to the 4.0 version and moved the 3.x docs into it's own section. Check the changelog for details on the fixes we made and feel free to send us any feedback or bug reports..

Last edited by petcummins4 (2013-05-02 13:07:15)

petcummins4 wrote:

We started to add new documentation to the 4.0 version and moved the 3.x docs into it's own section. Check the changelog for details on the fixes we made and feel free to send us any feedback or bug reports..

yep, I did this twice. I downloaded the text-file with more release nodes and I search the "new documentation" for hours...

@halanson: It needs the editorManager instance as the third argument. Working on API docs now will see when we have that ready.

Best regards,

Dear TinyMCE,

Great new product, the 4.0 version.

I can't help but think, wow, it's a new product.
Not really a version 4.0 but a version 1.0 of this new 'animal'

Perhaps you can consider this?

Are there plans to replicate the features in 3.5 like advanced tabs, things like this, or if the Full demo just not showing these yet?

I also think the lack of completion in features opens you guys up to competition, which is a good thing I guess, and if we consider migrating the CMS, we'll be able to look around more, so looking forward to that.

Good luck, I guess in a year we'll know more wink

Keep up the good work.

therealgeeves wrote:

Dear TinyMCE,

Great new product, the 4.0 version.

I can't help but think, wow, it's a new product.
Not really a version 4.0 but a version 1.0 of this new 'animal'

Perhaps you can consider this?

Are there plans to replicate the features in 3.5 like advanced tabs, things like this, or if the Full demo just not showing these yet?

I also think the lack of completion in features opens you guys up to competition, which is a good thing I guess, and if we consider migrating the CMS, we'll be able to look around more, so looking forward to that.

Good luck, I guess in a year we'll know more wink

Keep up the good work.

If you want more options, then just go with the CK Editor if you use Joomla!. It's amazing, and contains even more options and is more customizable then TinyMCE.

What are you missing? We cleaned up the UI and removed deprecaded html4 stuff and things no one should use like roll overs and popup generation. Image padding/margin should be done with CSS and the formats menu. I guess we need to focus on more examples and demos to show off the full power of TinyMCE. We reintroduced some of the more important features like link "Rel" but this is only enabled when configured. So it's not a new product it's just a cleaned up version and a major re-write a code base that has been worked on for nearly 10 years needs a major spring cleaning one in a while.

Best regards,

@KamranMackey: If you use Joomla you should check out the JCE editor that based on TinyMCE and has a ton of options. If you feel anything specific is missing let us know and we will considering adding it. But we want to avoid UI bloat and keep it clean and simple.

Best regards,

The 4.0b2 Version toolbar no way to config for position.

spocke wrote:

What are you missing? We cleaned up the UI and removed deprecaded html4 stuff and things no one should use like roll overs and popup generation. Image padding/margin should be done with CSS and the formats menu. I guess we need to focus on more examples and demos to show off the full power of TinyMCE. We reintroduced some of the more important features like link "Rel" but this is only enabled when configured. So it's not a new product it's just a cleaned up version and a major re-write a code base that has been worked on for nearly 10 years needs a major spring cleaning one in a while.

Thanks for the reply.

I think for example, in the images dialog...
How does one get title + alt, border, class... document object specific things like this.
And the UI does not respect user input in image case in fact. ie. I may only want a width attribute on image, but it always returns a height if that attribute is removed.
So you know, it's just that bugs for some may be useful features too, like for us, image optimisation for responsive cache/css is a really great feature facilitated by 3.5.x

So, if it is at all possible, please provide full-full featured example smile
Will also try to read docs when further advanced...

I have seen there is easy div placement, which was always a bit mysterious on the 3.5 branch.
But where can user add a manual class, like inline on a div without html mode? (not a global defined class from tinymce.css type thing)

But still, a somewhat 'different' product has emerge in imho, still good but you know... fear of change and things like this, 4.0 is a radical change for actual users of IT smile

Thanks.

Last edited by therealgeeves (2013-05-08 21:14:11)

spocke wrote:

I'm a keen advocate of Tinymce, but I'm not sure if you appreciate how diverse the end user base really is.  There are some users who never venture into 'advanced' settings, so mce4 will work fine for them.  But, there are others who use the advance features in mce3 all the time (adding borders, vertical alignment, tweaking padding, margins etc).  Access to, and knowledge of CSS isn't often an option for many end users, so mce becomes their only way of controlling layout.

I'm all for keeping the UI simple, but why can't advanced options be reintroduced in a separate tab so that people can get to them if they wish to.  If mce4 stays as it is, I'll be forced to keep using mce3 for most of my clients - or consider using another WYSIWYG editor that does offer advanced controls.

MCE4 is great!  But is could be mighty!!!  I fear you're about to lose many loyal users by taking away controls that were used to having in MCE3.