Topic: TinyMCE 4.0b3 Released

This release includes a few new options/features and a bunch of bug fixes. Check the details below.

CDN version and options
We have now an official CDN hosted version of TinyMCE. The hosting and bandwidth is provided by CacheFly, one of the fastest CDN providers in the world. This CDN version is a combined file of the core, plugins and themes so that everything loads in a single HTTP request. We also added options to make it easier to load custom plugins from your local server check the Using CDN tutorial for details.

Advanced tab for image dialog
There has been a lot of feedback regarding some missing options to manipulate the style of images directly. This could be useful in some implementations such as email client applications so as of this version it's possible to modify the margin/border of images if you enable the advanced tab using the image_advtab option.

API documentation
We added a lot of API documentation and a tutorial on how to make a simple plugin. We will continue to update the API docs with more details and examples each release and add more content to the wiki.

Bug fixes
We fixed a lot of bugs and issues in this release. Something you would except in a beta update. So if you find any bugs or issues submit them in the bug tracker. If it's general feedback feel free to post about that in this forum thread.

Translations
We like to thank everyone who have contributed translations. If you want to help out with translations join a team at: Transifex

Best regards,
Spocke - Main developer of TinyMCE

Re: TinyMCE 4.0b3 Released

Spocke wrote:

If you want to help out with translations join a team at: Transifex

What happened to your old translation service? I'm not keen on registering on numerous sites just to get my stuff done. I was rather fond of your TinyMCE language service where I needed no extra registration but could use the one from the forum...

Greetings from Germany,

Felix Riesterer.
-- I am neither Moxiecode nor Ephox! --

Looking good! I'm currently evaluating whether to use either v3 or v4. v4 looks better, feels snappier, has a more convenient way to customise toolbars and in general seems to work really well for what I need it so far, except for the paste plugin. It seems to have lost many options regarding cleanup on paste and as such any c&p from word carries over many unwanted markup and classes.

In particular, I'm left with loads of spans after paste. paste_remove_spans seems to have no effect.

What's the status of this plugin?

Last edited by NabLa (2013-05-16 18:48:56)

@Felix: We changed it to Transifex since it's editor is far superior. And we don't have time to update our own to make that one as good.

@NabLa: Could you file a bug report with details on what browser your using. We strip all word crap by default now in all browsers. So no need for any word paste dialog. So I'm curious how the content manages to get through that filter.

Best regards,

Oh sorry I should have been a lot more precise. All the word crap disappears nicely (mso styles and whatnot), but a few bits and pieces remain. It's all spans which don't do anything other than apply classes and alignments left over from the paste process. This happens when copying from a Word document opened in LibreOffice pasted on Chromium(25.0.1364.160-0ubuntu0.12.04.1) all in Ubuntu 12.04. Yes, this is a common usage scenario on my project with this particular client.

I have noticed that invalid_elements works fine so I can make all those disappear on save (I'd prefer they'd disappear on paste) so it's not really so much of an issue! There used to be paste_remove_spans (or something like that) and a similar one for classes on the previous version, but I can't see any refs on the plugin's source code.

Point is, it ain't broken, just perhaps not as complete as the previous version of the paste plugin.

PS: I'm trialling v4 with the client (migrating from Redactor) and he's commented on how much better it looks and behaves. I thought it was worth mentioning. Thanks for your all your efforts!

Last edited by NabLa (2013-05-17 12:40:57)

@NabLa If you could submit a bug report with example content that would be great. http://www.tinymce.com/develop/bugtracker.php

Afraithe
TinyMCE Developer

Spocke wrote:

Advanced tab for image dialog
There has been a lot of feedback regarding some missing options to manipulate the style of images directly. This could be useful in some implementations such as email client applications so as of this version it's possible to modify the margin/border of images if you enable the advanced tab using the image_advtab option.

Great, these are what we'll be looking for.
But specifically, img attributes that are normal, not just hspace/border but also: title/alt/rel/class and even better - ability to configure data attributes like data-dosomething, etc.

All the legal HTML attributes would basically be required.

So, advanced tabs will be a key thing.

Alt is already in there also rel if you config the rel_list. So that leaves title, class and possible data- attributes. Class can be applied using the format menu and that is way more powerful since you see a live what the class does so we won't be adding that. Title and data- attributes are global attributes and not image specific so we might add these to a special attributes plugin that would enable you to set these advanced attributes on any element not just images.

Best regards,

spocke wrote:

Alt is already in there also rel if you config the rel_list. So that leaves title, class and possible data- attributes. Class can be applied using the format menu and that is way more powerful since you see a live what the class does so we won't be adding that. Title and data- attributes are global attributes and not image specific so we might add these to a special attributes plugin that would enable you to set these advanced attributes on any element not just images.

Great, sounds like I am pre-empting somewhat, but good to have said it, re: valid attributes.

Also, having data-attributes will be killer.

Just for the record, we're using class direct on objects like img, for kicking in jquery .each() routines to render templates on these, so that's why the request, not so much for inline editing purposes. So, having said that, you'll see why class attribute on a specific object is actually quite useful. Especially, to have it available, *not* from the drop down list.

Greetings from Denmark.

Last edited by therealgeeves (2013-05-20 11:54:57)

Thanks, that's a lovely layout.
What about the callbacks/File lists/triggers?
I mean you re-design the UI and it's definitely better, but why did you cut off methods and features like, for example, onPostRender?
My impression is that it looks really nice but it's much less flexible than the previous version

It's more flexible now. It has all the events of 3.x and more. Check the migration guide here:
http://www.tinymce.com/wiki.php/Tutoria … e_from_3.x

Best regards,

Sorry, what I meant is that I'm trying to do something like

ed.onPostRender.add( function (ed){});

and I got an "is undefined" error and in the documentation the moethod doesn't exist for the  tinymce.Editor object.

The "undo link" button is missing. Quite convenient, as the only way i see is to get into the source code to remove the link.

Also the autoresize plugin only fires when a user event happens on the content. This would be more user-friendly if fired at init.

Wow, you have done some really great work here!

I love the new interface, and the documentation is coming along nice too. I'm not very well versed in Javascript but your work on this makes it very easy to use and customize for even the JS novice.

This morning I took the time to set up an "Application Cache" file to try and use it offline and it seems to work great in Firefox and Safari on my Mac Mini running the latest Mac OS X (snarly cat?).

I also tried running the 4.0b3 on my Raspberry Pi with the latest version of the standard raspbian OS. It does not work with the included Midori web browser. Version 3.5.8 does work with that set up.

Then I tried Iceweasel (Firefox) on the Raspberry Pi , and it does work with that. Formatting text is a little slow, but not too bad, and considering the platform it's pretty cool that it runs on it at all and it is great tool for learning.

Thanks again for all your hard work. You all ROCK!!!

Bill

JeromeBroustaut wrote:

The "undo link" button is missing. Quite convenient, as the only way i see is to get into the source code to remove the link.

You can use the edit link to remove a link. Just remove the URL value. You can also add the unlink button.

BillS wrote:

This morning I took the time to set up an "Application Cache" file to try and use it offline and it seems to work great in Firefox and Safari on my Mac Mini

I apologize, I was wrong about this. It was running in the browser cache, not the app cache.

Perhaps my cache manifest is not complete? I'll play with it some more, but has anyone else tried this?

i want to use this editor in arabic language,content should be appear in arabic please help me if you have any suggetion
alredy i put there Language: 'ar',
and also put the language_url:'ar.js',
even then this is not working tongue

Last edited by Dev007 (2013-05-24 14:27:51)

Hi Spocke,

I've implemented a fully functional HTML-source-code editor based on CodeMirror for TinyMCE 4.0b3.
It works beuatifully and is feature complete (it remembers cursor position, it indents automatically, and there's find/replace functionality).
CodeMirror
We (webpower.nl) want to provide this code for the community, hoping it could become part of TinyMCE by default.
Please contact me at arjan-at-webpower.nl so I can send you the code.

Ah i didn't know about the unlink button.

The documentation is a bit confusing between V4 and V3 versions.

thanks for your answer

The beta version looks very nice!
Do you have any estimate for release of the stable (no beta) version of TinyMCE 4?

@av01d : I think you should fork the project on github and send a pull request

Hi there Spocke. We're trying this out now - I must say, I really love the new design and implementation.

I don't know if it's helpful for you but we're logging any bugs that we find into your tracker.

Senior CMS Developer ~ Zenario

CodeMirror plugin for TinyMCE 4 has been released: http://www.avoid.org/codemirror-for-tinymce4/
This plugin offers a better-than-stock source code editor for TinyMCE, featuring syntax highlighting, auto-indentation, search & replace functionality and more.

spocke wrote:

Title and data- attributes are global attributes and not image specific so we might add these to a special attributes plugin that would enable you to set these advanced attributes on any element not just images.

We're waiting for this to be implemented properly before attempting any upgrade.

I would have thought people actually want *title* attribute from day one.

Greetings.

spocke wrote:

Title and data- attributes are global attributes and not image specific so we might add these to a special attributes plugin that would enable you to set these advanced attributes on any element not just images.

Can I suggest that global attributes needs some more attention.
The current support in the image dialog is sorely missed.

When would we expect some attention?

Reference to global attributes.
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec-preview/gl … butes.html

Last edited by therealgeeves (2013-10-21 07:58:12)