1

Topic: TinyMCE 4.0.1 Released

This release fixed a bunch of bugs and issues with the 4.0 release. There is always a few bugs and issues that manages to be missed when doing beta testing, unit tests etc in such a complex app as this editor is.

We also reintroduced a few features and options form the 3.x branch such as paste as plain text. We also worked on the formats menu to display the currently selected formats and disable formats that can't be applied to the current selection such as table formats on a paragraph element etc.

We will continue to improve the documentation and add more examples. It takes a bit of time though since the UI has gone though such a radical change.

Best regards,
Spocke - Main developer of TinyMCE

2

Re: TinyMCE 4.0.1 Released

Great work and it's understandable that things take time with such a radical change that this branch is.

I have some questions for future plans on mobile (and even older eeePC) support.

The modal windows - except for some issues fitting the content on screen, TinyMCE is probably the editor best supported on mobile platforms right now.  I'd like to try and change the windows to use some kind of responsive design, where it doesn't ever go outside the visible frame, since you can't scroll when it's focused.

The close buttons for these overlay modal windows are unnecessary small, impossible to hit with a fingertip.

The commercial file/image browser isn't usable because it's impossible to pick a file, both methods that work on a desktop PC, marking the file and clicking the select button or directly clicking on the image also fails on a mobile browser.

I might be able to fix these issues myself if there's just CSS or minor JS changes involved, or wait if this is something you are aware of and going to look into. Some input on your thoughts about this would be great.

Last edited by bubach (2013-06-27 20:56:20)

3

Re: TinyMCE 4.0.1 Released

Will version 4.0.1 make its way to the cachefly CDN soon ? Thanks for the awesome work!

4

Re: TinyMCE 4.0.1 Released

New pastetext menu item has no icon - it's impossible to display it as a button in the toolbar?

5

Re: TinyMCE 4.0.1 Released

Thank you for this update.  I'm going to add it manually for this version, but could you please add a button and not only a menu for the plain text plugin?
I think there might also have a bug when the html selection have some blockquote tags. It adds a lof of blank spaces inside the editor (br tags). I will report it in the tracker.

6

Re: TinyMCE 4.0.1 Released

RobF, cclaerhout: I added a patch for this here: https://github.com/tinymce/tinymce/pull/214

7

Re: TinyMCE 4.0.1 Released

pomartel wrote:

Will version 4.0.1 make its way to the cachefly CDN soon ? Thanks for the awesome work!

If your running the front page example, you should be running 4.0.1 already.

Afraithe
TinyMCE Developer

8

Re: TinyMCE 4.0.1 Released

bubach wrote:

Great work and it's understandable that things take time with such a radical change that this branch is.

I have some questions for future plans on mobile (and even older eeePC) support.

The modal windows - except for some issues fitting the content on screen, TinyMCE is probably the editor best supported on mobile platforms right now.  I'd like to try and change the windows to use some kind of responsive design, where it doesn't ever go outside the visible frame, since you can't scroll when it's focused.

The close buttons for these overlay modal windows are unnecessary small, impossible to hit with a fingertip.

The commercial file/image browser isn't usable because it's impossible to pick a file, both methods that work on a desktop PC, marking the file and clicking the select button or directly clicking on the image also fails on a mobile browser.

I might be able to fix these issues myself if there's just CSS or minor JS changes involved, or wait if this is something you are aware of and going to look into. Some input on your thoughts about this would be great.

Still a lot of work left for the ppl making the mobile browsers before we can do something really useful in regards to mobile guis. But we are continuing to revisit mobile editing every now and then to check for updates, we have all kinds of various hardware to test on at our office, so we are not in the blind about it.

Afraithe
TinyMCE Developer

9

Re: TinyMCE 4.0.1 Released

Afraithe wrote:

Still a lot of work left for the ppl making the mobile browsers before we can do something really useful in regards to mobile guis. But we are continuing to revisit mobile editing every now and then to check for updates, we have all kinds of various hardware to test on at our office, so we are not in the blind about it.

That's great. As it is now, everything works fairly well except for as mention the overlay windows. A small fix would be to allow scrolling of the windows instead of the body content behind it, that's what I've hacked into the source in order to make it usable on my old eeePC.

10

Re: TinyMCE 4.0.1 Released

I agree about the modal/overlay issue. This editor, when customized a little, is very usable on mobile devices except for when these modals pop up. I'd love to see an option to have a less intrusive modal used in future versions of tinymce.

Also, thanks so much for fixing the issue with the drop down menus not closing! I was going mad for 3 days thinking it was something I'd done, some sort of animation override of some sort but then 4.0.1 fixed it!!

11

Re: TinyMCE 4.0.1 Released

Are there any plans for adding more advanced options for images/links? I'm missing a some advanced  functionality that was part of 3.x:
Link title, link rel (textfield, not dropdown), custom classes/ids for images/link, alt for image.

12

Re: TinyMCE 4.0.1 Released

Wow, impressed with 4.x! But Please, please make all options available from the menu as well as buttons.

I am looking into having a text area with no buttons, but with the same functionality from the menus.

Right now, there are lots of missing options, like font-size, text colors, bullet list, numbered lists, remove link, Insert file (Moximanager).

13

Re: TinyMCE 4.0.1 Released

Afraithe wrote:
bubach wrote:

Great work and it's understandable that things take time with such a radical change that this branch is.

I have some questions for future plans on mobile (and even older eeePC) support.

The modal windows - except for some issues fitting the content on screen, TinyMCE is probably the editor best supported on mobile platforms right now.  I'd like to try and change the windows to use some kind of responsive design, where it doesn't ever go outside the visible frame, since you can't scroll when it's focused.

The close buttons for these overlay modal windows are unnecessary small, impossible to hit with a fingertip.

The commercial file/image browser isn't usable because it's impossible to pick a file, both methods that work on a desktop PC, marking the file and clicking the select button or directly clicking on the image also fails on a mobile browser.

I might be able to fix these issues myself if there's just CSS or minor JS changes involved, or wait if this is something you are aware of and going to look into. Some input on your thoughts about this would be great.

Still a lot of work left for the ppl making the mobile browsers before we can do something really useful in regards to mobile guis. But we are continuing to revisit mobile editing every now and then to check for updates, we have all kinds of various hardware to test on at our office, so we are not in the blind about it.

Hi Team,

IMHO dumping modals (a setting) will be the only way to solve mobile/responsive (iPads/Tablets are the main point of issue here).

I'd suggest relying on a popup window, or a node that populates with the former modal content, and provides some kind of slide down, ui presentation...

Cheers

14

Re: TinyMCE 4.0.1 Released

Spocke wrote:

This release fixed a bunch of bugs and issues with the 4.0 release. There is always a few bugs and issues that manages to be missed when doing beta testing, unit tests etc in such a complex app as this editor is.

We also reintroduced a few features and options form the 3.x branch such as paste as plain text. We also worked on the formats menu to display the currently selected formats and disable formats that can't be applied to the current selection such as table formats on a paragraph element etc.

We will continue to improve the documentation and add more examples. It takes a bit of time though since the UI has gone though such a radical change.

Hi Spocke, will there be better mobile usability for TinyMCE in the future? Would be great if it was easy to use on an ipad or iphone.

15

Re: TinyMCE 4.0.1 Released

RobF wrote:

New pastetext menu item has no icon - it's impossible to display it as a button in the toolbar?

yep. it's impossible